Tuesday 28 February 2017

Good morning Allotmenteers!

Good morning all!

I must apologise, I have neglected my posts for far too long.  Last year turned out to be a crazy end to the year.  We had my sisters wedding to prep for and unfortunately the allotment suffered from lack of attention. All this aside, we still had a wonderful crop of beetroot, lettuce, peas and beans.  Raspberries were still in abundance into November. Last year I also seperated from my partner of 7 years, whom I worked on the allotment with, so I habitually avoided it for 6 months in case he was around.  He has subsequently moved on and left me with my plot to which I have added another!

We now have two plots.  One full size and one half plot.  The second plot we are hoping to grow a vast number of veg and we have expanded our fruit beds on the existing plot.  We have given the shed a splash of colour and have laid foundations for our greenhouse.  We were hoping to put this up today, but it is extremely windy here in the South West, so this may have to wait until the weekend, which is delaying our seed sowing. 

Some seeds are already being sown on sunny windowsills across our houses and these will be moved into the greenhouse once it is up.  Excellent manure was added to the ground along with lime and chicken pellets, which has now left us with a rich, worm filled soil which we hope will create a bumper crop this year. 

This time of year is difficult as it is coming towards exam season for my degree and trying to fit everything in is hard work.  But as soon as June 2nd has passed I am a free agent until October! Yippee!

We plan to also grow a large number of flowers to attract the good bugs and draw attention away from our crop.  This too should hopefully add a joyful amount of colour to our spot. 

Apologies for the long post, but it has been a while!  I will continue to post again this year and keep you filled in with the plots.



Happy growing! 

Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment